Managing within employment law
This one-day course provides delegates with an understanding of key areas of employment law. It will be beneficial to newly appointed supervisors or managers, anyone new to the responsibilities of HR or those looking to take a basic refresher course. This course will enable managers and supervisors to use their knowledge of employment law in reaching sound management decisions in line with legislation, thus avoiding the risk of potentially costly infringements.
- Course content
- Contracts of employment – forming and terminating contracts of employment
- Equality and discrimination – the nine protected characteristics and how discrimination can occur in the workplace
- Discipline and grievance – understanding how to handle disciplinary and grievance situations, including nipping situations in the bud, investigations and disciplinary and grievance hearings
- Absence – managing short and long term absence
- Dismissal – understanding unfair dismissal rights
- Family related rights – understanding rights around maternity leave, shared parental leave, flexible working, parental leave and time off for dependents.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
No assessment but delegates receive a certificate of attendance.
- More details
By completing this course, delegates will:
- Understand key areas of employment law and be able to apply their knowledge to the workplace
- Recognise when disciplinary action should be considered and how to handle disciplinary situations
- Recognise a grievance and understand how to respond appropriately
- Know when to seek advice and assistance from other managers and HR practitioners.