EAL Level 2 dimensional measurement for users
This course is accredited by EAL at Level 2 and is conducted by the National Physical Laboratory and is suitable for any person involved in these techniques as part of design, quality, production process or inspection.
There are some highly technical and complex measuring systems available in modern engineering, particularly those required in inspection and quality processes, there is a need for those staff to understand the principles and have the ability to carry out accurate measuring activities.
The learner will:
- Understand the relevance of dimensional measurement, including the use of dimensional and geometrical tolerances, to all stages of the engineering process.
- Understand the use of datum systems in dimensional measurement.
- Be able to interpret tolerance frames with and without datum references, and understand the shapes of the associated tolerance zones.
- Be able to interpret tolerance frames for the different geometrical characteristics of form, location, orientation, and run-out.
- Understand principles of measurement that allow the formation of a measurement strategy, including measurement uncertainty, calibration and traceability.
- Confidently select and use a range of measuring instruments, using an understanding of how they should be prepared, used, read and stored.
- Interpret and analyse the data output from the measurement
- Understanding the importance of good practices associated with repeatability and reproducibility when using measuring equipment.
- Make informed decisions as an individual and part of a team.
Pre-requisitesWhilst there are no pre-requisites for this course some limited experience of engineering or reading engineering drawings and measuring systems would be of benefit.
AssessmentThere will be some form of formal assessment on this 3 day course and delegates will need to demonstrate that they can use the equipment accurately and operate safely in an engineering environment. On successful completion of the course, delegates will receive an EAL Level 2 Award in Metrology - Dimensional Measurement 500/9924/3.
Another course to consider is EAL Level 2 Dimensional Measurement for users